Corn on the cob is extremely dangerous for dogs, and here’s why

The fact that dogs are voracious eaters is a universally acknowledged fact. Most of them will eat whatever you give them without question and have no regard for their health. When a family gathers around the table, the dog usually follows suit, patiently waiting for a scrap to fall to the floor.

That’s why it’s crucial for every dog owner to know what’s good and bad for their pet. The health of your dog may depend on your observance of the specific dietary requirements for canines. No matter how pleading your dog is, there are some things you should never give them.

You probably already know that chocolate and gum are extremely dangerous for dogs and should be kept out of their reach at all times. Veterinarians and dog owners are sounding the alarm about the latest threat to canine health. Such food, if ingested by your dog, can cause serious illness or death.

It’s probably safe to assume that corn on the cob, a fairly common food, is what you’re picturing. Even though dogs love to chew on cobs, doing so can be very dangerous.

The kernels of corn are generally safe to eat and taste great. But the real danger comes from the cob hidden inside.

Corn cobs are particularly dangerous for smaller dogs due to their shape and indigestibility.

An obstruction can be fatal if it is not removed quickly. That’s something that’s all too familiar to Joanne Palmer.

After her dog ate a corn cob last year on a walk, she posted about it on social media. Not until the dog began vomiting a week later did she give it much thought.

When the toxicology report came back, Palmer and the veterinarian were shocked to learn that the cob’s core “had traveled through her intestines like a cheese grater.” The dog developed sepsis from the wounds and passed away.

And she added a warning: “Dog owners must be warned that if they are walking their dog on any field, even ones that aren’t corn fields, be aware.” “She was a tiny dog, and I have thought that her size definitely contributed to her loss,” Palmer wrote.

Dr. Rebecca Ashman, an experienced veterinarian, has stated that incidents like these are quite common. While surgery can be helpful in some situations, the risks involved are high.

Ashman is reminding people to be careful around corn on the cob now that we’re in the midst of corn eating season.

If someone called to report their animal had eaten a corn on the cob, “my alarm bells would be ringing,” she said. However, worried pet owners should know that animal experts are always on call and happy to talk.

Hydrogen peroxide can be used to make someone throw up, though this isn’t always advised. “If a dog tries to vomit up something like a corn cob, it might become lodged in their esophagus,” says veterinarian and author of The Ultimate Pet Health Guide Gary Richter. “This is even more problematic than if it is in the stomach or intestines.”

If your dog eats a corn cob, you should contact your vet immediately, or if they aren’t open, a 24-hour animal hospital.

Things to keep an eye out for.

Your dog may be eating corn on the cob and you may not even know it unless you catch them in the act. However, if you think there might be a problem, you can keep an eye out for these symptoms.

-Sucking dry air


-Anorexia nervosa


-Indigestion Tiredness

Not all canine gastrointestinal obstructions manifest as diarrhea, though.

Although there are those who maintain that corn has no benefits for dogs, it is common knowledge that you should never let your dog near a corncob.

This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!

What do you think?

949 Points
Upvote Downvote

This Pumpkin Pie with Fireball Whiskey Will Make Your Fall Extra Special

The “Golden” Bridge in Vietnam, Which Appears to Be Straight Out Of A Fantasy Novel